Friday, December 12, 2008

A little Review

Since my morning began (all posts seem to begin with my mornings) with my old vocabulary workbook and coffee, I was pleased enough by my finds that I decided some words and derivations might be worth sharing with my blogging friends. Vocabulary isn't very fun if mentally hoarded away, as many logophiles might be inclined to do (always looking for the opportune occasion to bash someone over the head with an impressive word), but rather we might all have more interesting and fun conversations by using a choice, tasty word. This is likely quite elementary for any of you who have done the most basic latin or greek, BUT nevertheless (how nice that that's one word) it never hurts to do a little review.

Uxorious (adj)- dominated by one's wife. UXOR= latin for "wife" (Why isn't this word used more? I've heard so many guys say that they essentially don't want an uxorious wife.)

Avuncular (adj)- pertaining to uncle-like affection. AVUNCULUS= latin for "uncle" Easy to remember because its so close to "uncle".

Matrix (noun)- the surroundings within which something begins or develops. MATER/MATRIS= latin for" mother". I thought this worthy of inclusion just because there may be increased confusion of how to use this word since the film The Matrix was produced and our other affiliation with its use is in calculus boxes of numbers (or was that algebra? I haven't done (I'm pleased to say) much beyond simple math in quite some time...) Anyway, NOT just a framework of an idea, but the environment of its inception.

Pedant (noun)- A person who pays excessive attention to learning rules rather than to understanding. Paidos= greek for "child" or "boy". I think we're all familiar with "pedantic" but I think we should also starting calling our legalistic friends "pedants" to see how they react. (note: this is not very nice.) BUT the irony of using it like this is that pedant can also mean "a scholarly show-off." Thus, in calling our friends pedants, we ourselves might equally be the pedant. haha! it bit us in the bum.

And to differentiate between two similar sounding (I CAN'T think of the word for this!) words:

Misogamy (noun)- hatred of marriage GAMOS= greek for "marriage" So a misogamist is someone who hates marriage, not to be confused with

Misogyny (noun)- which is a hatred or distrust for women. GYNE= greek for "woman" I think we're all use to hearing a man being referred to as a "misogynist." We could infer that a misogynist will inevitably also be a misogamist, but a misogamist could still love women of any sort.

I feel like my little list is mostly of a nasty sort and we now know more words of an insulting, if not helpful nature. Thus lets conclude on a word to which we can direct all our various gender aspirations (I jest).

Virile (adj)- Having certain characteristics popularly associated with men, especially physical strength, procreative power, vitality and assertiveness (man oh man, what a list!). VIR= latin for "man". I must include the sentence example that reads, "The heroes of Ernest Hemingway's novels are often virile men who risk danger in war or sport" I am reading Hemingway right now for the first time and it was nice to come across him.

Nice is a word that I was repeatedly told not to use during primary school. It was written in large letters on a poster of forbidden words, tacked above the chalk board to remind us of what we shouldn't include in our monosyllabic writings (how cruel, when it's so easy to spell). Since it was so unceremoniously plucked from my vocabulary, today I have reinstated its use by using it twice in the post above. It is a very nice* word.

*NB (nota bene): Nice IS one of those words that has undergone utter transformation in its idiomatic meaning. It USE to mean "stupid or trivial" as derived from the latin word "nescius" so a "nice fact" was something unimportant or trivial. (I think this dates back to the 12th century). The only definitions that I could find that remotely connote this outdated meaning were: "having fastidious, finicky, or fussy tastes" and then a step up from that: "showing or indicating very small differences; minutely accurate." My best guess as to the etymology of the word would be that as precise and fussy habits became more aligned with culture values of refinement, it began to connote more positive meanings until we arrived at the present day's trivial meaning of being "inconsequentially pleasant" (my own definition.) I'm sure there's enough historical complexity to this word that one could write their thesis on it. So I'll stop here.

Feel free to make corrections or suggestions.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I like the word nice. No one ever told me not to use it. I am glad that you have enlightened me with your knowledge. It is a good study break. I am taking Greek history and it is indeed very interesting to learn the context and origins of some of the words we use today. Here is my addition:

Tyrant - from the Lydian tyrannos, for king, strongly associated with wealth. Originally devoid of all negative connotations, referring to those who came to rule by seizing power due to their immense wealth rather than by their dynastic right. It came to have a negative meaning in the 6th century BC when one ruler went mad after his brother's death and started killing people.

jbomh031 said...

I liked your inference on misogynists. Matrix is also used in geology. (I don't actually like geology but I pretended to be one this past summer) It refers to the small bits of rock surrounding bigger rocks.

Tim Colton said...

I think my favorite word might have been uxorious. I had no idea such a word existed, and I'm going to try to remember to call my dad uxorious at least once over break.

Um, I'll add a word: holy. Derived from the ancient Hebrew "qadosh", many people think this means righteous or pious. The translation for Qadosh is more appropriately "to be set apart, separate". This is apparent because in the Bible derivations of the word qadosh are used to signify separation in a Godly as well as an evil sense.

Anonymous said...

The word "Nice" is an absolute abomination of the English language. I tried to class the hell out of this response, but it really isn't me. I would have preferred to say that the word "Nice" is "Friggen brutal".

Nice to see that your back at Blogspot dropping some knowledge on us. It's real nice that you found such nice words. Okay, I can't bare it anymore, you get the idea.

I didn't know what to call myself until I read this post. I'm most certainly a misogamist. Knowing that is going to make it a lot easier the next time I'm explaining to a girl why I can't marry her. That generally happens every few weeks of course.

Whatever happened to that tent?

I hesitate to call you a thief, but until you prove otherwise, you will be named as such.

Krista said...

Yes! I love words! I love you!
Did you get my e-mail?

Also, of course I'm adventing it up... Love tomorrow -celebrate!

Talk in the NewYear?
Or, e-mail me your number (seeing as I've deleted my facebook account,) and I can call you from here any time.
xoxo K