Monday, June 8, 2009

Ah yes, Women

My blog page is still in French, something which makes me mildly worried about my poor computer's locality confusion, for I am indeed a good week and a half English-speaking Vancouver. And O the English that we speak! Nothing linguistically remarkable as much as the familiarity and joy of conversions with people whose thought currents resonate with my own. I've realized in coming back to such a large friend base, the importance of loving individuals and liking them in specifics. There are some with whom I have a very unique connection, though a remarkably large number given how in some places people personalities can be difficult to line up with my own. 

I am grateful in particular for several women with whom I click with in an instant and long-enduring sort of way. Their intelligence, warmth, deep-kindness, laughter and hard experience often make me stop and say to myself, "Man, I am friends with such amazing women." It seems that part of friendship is the attraction of like-to-like because we do share many details of similar personal struggles, world travelling, and current loves and for this I feel that I find myself among kindred spirits and creatures whom I understand and understand me as well. Each is still distinctively them self, but we mesh in a relaxed mode that lets us soberly make meals together, spend hours dramatizing and getting dressed, lounge and muse as we read in the living room, or crash in to rage or share a current woe. I think too of how I can laugh with these girls, of how joy is well within our grasp. I am delighted to announce that I am nabbing Lizzie Curry from the group and taking her as my friend and baker in to the woods of northern B.C. We are likely going to have way too much fun as two girls left to their own devilish devices. We leave by greyhound tonight. 

4 comments:

Anna McClurg said...

i'm so glad it worked out to have a friend along! i hope you learn a lot and enjoy your summer working hard to make meals for the tree planters. be well!

Krista said...

Oh! Lizzie Curry? What a lovely lady!
When I read this, I must admit that I was instantly questioning my summer plans, and feeling a strange jealousy. But how wonderful that you found someone (and someone so sweet,) to go along with you... I'm positive the two of you will have a wonderful time.

Keep me posted, Dear -and tell Lizzie I say hello.

T - 11 days until Crow.
My goodness, life moves quickly.
I love you,
Krista

Lindsay said...

I hope you create your own fun in the bush as you cook up some wonderful things! Stay safe and warm.

Antony said...

Have a really, really wonderful time. I hope I can see you at some point this summer, but if not, talk soon and have a blessed time with your friends and family. Antony