Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The months to Come

Well dear Reader near and far our time in France is drawing to a close. I realized today while slowly climbing the cote, our hill, in the hot afternoon sun- our laborious daily trek up to the apartment from the city- that a week from this Sunday I'll be home in our house and my summer madness waiting just out the door. While life is still rolling with its slow, peaceful pace, I almost hate to mention this next new stage of (good!) business of all my most recent plottings. But, because I can't stop myself and planning gives me peace of mine, this is how the future in all its untelling facts will unfold:

These next two weeks I get to spend delightfully filled with people presence. A friend from A Rocha will be arriving in a couple days and we can tromp around Aix while I play host to all the delights and unusual happenings of our apartment. My parents arrive not long after and besides the pure parent-craving happiness of seeing them, we should have some good traveling together in our rented car out to the sights and smells of Provence. Last hours will be spent with Veronique and Jenna and I'll likely disappear before we know what hit us.
I return to Cedar Rapids, Iowa for 10 days where I hope to unpack and repack for my summer job, august backpacking, and a september move to Vancouver. I got hired as a headcook for a tree-planting company so I'll also likely be doing a last minute scramble of paper work and menu planning. ALSO, there are a few friends that I have so want to see but sadly a pathetic amount of time to share. Once again I must zoom of in a less than heroic way saying, "I'll be back..."
I fly to Vancouver May 29th where I'll crash with my brothers for a few days and do more catching up with friends there. On the couch, in the community house, looking forward to it immensely.
June 2nd, leaving for planting camp via greyhound in to the mysterious northern unknown. Little sleep, good money, deteriorating hygiene, strange life all around...
July 25th, wrap up the planting contracts and likely feeling ready to say, "Get me the $^%# $%#*# out of here!" (planting camp will teach me how to swear more audibly.)
Unward through August I'll be somewhere in the British Columbian mountains likely backpacking, maybe volunteering at Crow for a time, camping, wandering, I don't really know in fact.
September 2nd- Start of a suite-lease with my mum in Vancouver! I'll be moving out there for the fall with plots of taking swimming lessons at the pool, eating dinners with friends, finding a respectable job (maybe unpaid) to boost my resume, finding a fun but likely less-than-luadible paying job, reading books that please and challenge me and being social, reflective and human all around.
I'm actually very happy and excited about everything to come and even looking forward to diving back in to university oh-so-seriously whenever I return.

See, plan-sharing so quickly takes you out of the moment and France. No good, for here is where I am. But now that it's out there, we can forget it and keep on living.

Let's say more on France to Come.

2 comments:

Anna McClurg said...

oh wow! sounds like you've got a full schedule of adventures ahead of you! i know, i owe you an email. but then i will see you soon... so if i don't get back to you before, we'll catch up when you're back in good old cedar rapids. :)

Tim Colton said...

You have almost the next entire year planned! I'm jealous of all the wilderness exploration you will be doing in the coming months, I really need to get a passport so I can go up to Canada sometime. You won't be getting any mail from me (even though I asked for your address again...sorry), but I'm looking forward to seeing you in a week and a half!! It will pass so quickly too, o finals